This year is flying by! And while we’ve been a bit quiet with our communications, we’ve actually been pretty busy! Here are some highlights from the last couple of months, and some really important dates for you to add to your calendar, including the City Council Meeting happening next week, our next Happy Hour Friday, and the much awaited Bicycle Second Line!
- We raised 9,640.00 for our Stolen Trailer and Bike Fleet Fundraiser! This was above and beyond our initial goal of 6,500.00. We’re slowly replacing the contents of the trailer, and will be ever grateful for your generous support. THANK YOU!
- We presented at the Transportation Committee Meeting on July 14,2022. Our focus was to educate the Council on the current state of bicycling in New Orleans, present our programming, highlight the people whose lives we affect with our work, and a call to action to complete the build out of the Moving New Orleans Bike Network, and to support Safe Routes to School Programs and bike safety education in schools. To access the agenda and our presentation, click here.
- We launched the Safety Sunday Bike Lane Cleanup Initiative. Led by our Policy and Design Committee; this effort aims to identify issues in existing bike lanes, report back to the city, and activate locals to take ownership of existing bike lanes while cleaning debris and catch basins along the bike lane. So far, we’ve worked on Marconi Drive, and MacArthur & Newton in the Westbank. Stay tuned for details on the next one taking place on September 11.
And now, mark your calendars for some important events coming up!
Earlier this year, a resolution to review bike lanes in Algiers was presented at the Council. Since then, there has been new engagement with community members for feedback on existing bike lanes, and future projects. DPW will be presenting at the Community Development Meeting this coming Monday at 10:00 am, and we could use your support that day. Please click on this link to leave your comment before Monday, and if you are able, please attend this meeting in person to show your support for bike lanes. Do note that the Agenda and Public Comments link will be posted on Friday, August 26th.
We’re bringing back our Happy Hour Friday! Come and find out what we’ve been up to, and learn how you can be more involved with Bike Easy! It will be a great opportunity for you to learn about the benefits of becoming a Bike Easy Member, and enter a raffle with some really great Bike Easy goodies! Hope to see you there!
We’re thrilled to bring the – much awaited – Bicycle Second Line back! A 10-mile pedal powered parade that winds through New Orleans streets. This year, we will meet at the Lafitte Greenway Plaza for registration at 10:00 am, and we will roll out at 11:00 am. There will be a stop at the Marigny, and one at the CBD, and we will end at Second Line Brewing for our traditional after party!
There are many ways you can be involved:
- Ride with us, and invite your family and friends. EVERYONE is welcome to come!
- Sponsor the Bicycle Line – We are still looking for a few more sponsors to help us make this our best Bicycle Second Line to date! Check out our Sponsor Invitation, or reply to this email with ways you would like your organization to be involved.
- Volunteer with us! We have different shifts you can sign up for, and still be able to enjoy the ride.
And remember: if you are a Bike Easy Member, you will get a commemorative t-shirt at the event while supplies last.
Looking forward to catching up with you at any of these events!
Allene La Spina
Acting Executive Director