Youth Empowerment Project
Youth Empowerment Project (YEP) is an organization that enriches underserved youth in New Orleans. They provide community-based education, mentoring, and employment readiness programs.
Bike Works is a full service bicycle repair shop open six days a week. Work and Learn Center participants learn to diagnose and fix bicycles for customers as well as rehabilitate donated bicycles to sell in the shop. Students learn the basics of customer service as well as bicycle maintenance including repairing flats, greasing and replacing bearings, adjusting brakes and gears, and more. Students sell and install lights, horns, and a variety of accessories. Bicycle safety is also part of the curriculum. All Work and Learn participants have the opportunity to earn their own bicycle while in the program.
1604 Oretha Castle Haley Blvd, New Orleans, La 70113
Hours of Operation:
Monday: 10:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Tuesday: 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Thursday: 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Saturday: 10:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Closed Wednesdays and Sundays
- Bike parking is plentiful outside of their various locations on Oretha Castle Haley
- Bike Works provides affordable mechanic services and tools for small adjustments
- YEP Fest is an annual festival where mechanic services are offered and sponsored Pedicab races are the premier event
- Bike Easy educational materials are offered in addition to many other resources
- Staff at Bike Works are active League Certified Instructors through Bike Easy training
- Students working with Bike Works complete a Smart Cycling course through Bike Easy
- Youth Empowerment Project educates offers a lot of education programming
- YEP works towards advocacy in transportation by providing bicycles and training to students from underrepresented backgrounds
- YEP supports Bike Easy by providing Bicycle Valet at their annual YEP Fest