Complete Streets Ambassadors
Individuals committed to improving biking, walking, and mobility neighborhood by neighborhood
People living in New Orleans and Jefferson Parish need more options to get where they need to go safely and affordably. Bike Easy’s Complete Streets Ambassadors lead the fight to make our streets built to share! Push the City to create connected, protected bikeway networks for safe, accessible travel options for every resident and neighborhood.
Protected bike lanes, physically separated from automobile traffic, give people the confidence and comfort to bike to work, to school, the grocery store, restaurants, and parks—or to a friend’s house a neighborhood away but across a busy, major roadway.
We’re calling on the City of New Orleans to plan and build connected, protected bikeway networks. We need your help to engage residents about how safe, protected bikeways can work best for them, their families and neighborhoods. Identify and speak with local leaders from churches, youth organizations, and neighborhood associations. Plan community events that encourage people to get on a bike when protected bikeways open in their neighborhood!
Complete Streets Ambassadors work to promote walking, biking, transit, and livable streets in New Orleans neighborhoods. ‘Complete Streets’ represent the goal of providing streets built to share to everyone who bikes, walks, drives and rides transit. As the City of New Orleans plans to make improvements to biking infrastructure over the coming years it is vital that we speak up to make sure these changes lead to healthy, equitable outcomes for New Orleans residents.
Goals for each Complete Streets Ambassador:
- Spread the word and build support for safe, accessible biking
- Recruit residents to attend public meetings and community bike rides
- Speak with neighborhood leaders and local media about protected bikeways and Complete Streets
- Plan a community activity for the opening of a neighborhood protected bikeway
Complete Streets Ambassadors commit to:
- 3 hours per week time commitment
- Attending bi-monthly meetings
- Initial half-day training
- Supporting the goals of the program