Good news and … lemonade
Executive Director, Dan Favre, talks about GiveNOLA and the Bicycle Second Line
Well, let’s start with the good news: You can start scheduling your donations for GiveNOLA Day today! What a great way to kick off Bike Easy Membership Month.
And now, the lemon news: The Bicycle Second Line has been rescheduled for Sunday, May 26th. Due to scheduling complications, the next availability for our partners at NOPD to come clear the streets for all of us rolling in Bicycle Second Line is on Sunday, May 26th.
The lemonade: You’ve got that much more time to sign up to become a Bike Easy Member, and then come out to Bicycle Second Line to get your free, commemorative t-shirt.
Back to that good news: GiveNOLA Day is when the whole community comes together to support our favorite causes, and Bike Easy is proud to be in that number. Donations through GiveNOLA can be considered your membership dues, so please consider scheduling a generous contribution to Bike Easy today.
The main benefit of Bike Easy Membership is that warm, fuzzy feeling you get for supporting our work to make bicycling easy, safe, and fun for everyone in Greater New Orleans. Members have enabled lots of recent accomplishments, including:
- The launch of Moving New Orleans Bikes, the City of New Orleans initiative to create a citywide bikeway plan and rapidly build approximately 75 miles of a connected and protected bikeway network,
- The debut of Bike/Walk Friendly Driver education workshops, with partners like Uber, Apple Bus, and AARP, to ensure people driving know all the details of keeping people walking and biking safe on the roadways
- Record-breaking participation in the 2019 Bike Easy Challenge, the free, friendly workplace competition that helps more people try riding for fun and bike commuting.
Of course, that’s not all you’ll get. Bike Easy Membership also includes:
- The first 150 Members to arrive at Bicycle Second Line on May 26th get a free t-shirt,
- Discounts around town at some of your favorite businesses and events,
- An exclusive invite to the Annual Membership Party (ahem, I mean “Meeting”).
Personally, my favorite part of being a Bike Easy Member is simply being part of an amazing community of people, and the Bicycle Second Line is always a beautiful celebration and gathering of that community. I sincerely apologize for any disrupted plans or inconvenience due to this necessary rescheduling, and I hope to still see you out at the Bicycle Second Line over Memorial Day weekend on Sunday, May 26. Don’t worry, we’ll be turning these lemons into plenty of refreshing lemonade to keep you cool during the ride.
While we’re still re-confirming the band and some other details, the basic logistics are meeting up in City Park in front of NOMA at 10am on Sunday, May 26th. The ride rolls at 10:30am. We’ll be encouraging everyone to sign up as Members for all the reasons listed above, but the ride is free for everyone regardless of membership. The route is about 10-miles on streets closed to motor vehicles, with 2 water/snack stops, and as always, we’ll be lead by a live band. This is a great event for all ages, so bring the whole family!
I can’t wait to ride with y’all on Sunday, May 26th, and I look forward to getting the chance to thank you in person for your Membership support of Bike Easy.