Join our team to make biking, walking, and other affordable mobility options accessible to the residents of Greater New Orleans
The application period for this position has closed.
Bike Easy makes bicycling easy, safe, and fun for everyone in Greater New Orleans. We believe in the power of bicycling to help create a healthy, prosperous, resilient, and equitable future for all people of the region. We envision safe, convenient transportation options for everyone and the freedom to get around easily. We aim to share the joy of bicycling and make it an easy choice for everyone. We also know that streets safe for bicycling are safe for walking and vice versa. We imagine a future where people of all ages and abilities can bike, walk, and take transit safely, whoever they are and wherever they live.
The Campaign Organizer will work closely with the Campaign Manager and Executive Director to build public support for strong Complete Streets policies that promote health equity in Greater New Orleans, alongside our partners in the New Orleans Complete Streets Coalition. The Campaign Organizer will primarily be responsible for grassroots organizing, volunteer recruitment, coalition communications, and social media management.
Primary Job Responsibilities
- Grassroots Outreach – Conduct educational outreach through tabling and petitioning, especially in communities most impacted by health disparities; Make presentations about Bike Easy, Complete Streets, and mobility to various groups – from church and civic organizations to businesses and government officials
- Volunteer Coordination – Recruit and develop volunteer leaders – lots of petitioning and phone banking! Coordinate trainings on Complete Streets and grassroots, advocacy, and media tactics; Support and manage volunteer leaders; Mobilize volunteers to engage various communities at events and public meetings
- Communications – Coordinate and schedule weekly content creation for Bike Easy programming, working with Campaign Manager and other Bike Easy staff; Monitor and manage online conversation on Bike Easy social channels; Organize press conferences and media events, and be a spokesperson on behalf of Bike Easy in the media; Develop hardcopy outreach materials, web content, and other communications pieces; Train volunteers and others in media, outreach, and communications regarding Complete Streets and the campaign
- Coalition Management – Facilitate internal communications for the Complete Streets coalition, especially coordination of monthly meetings and coalition updates; Outreach to organizations and businesses to build support for Complete Streets; Engage with various existing coalitions to actively understand and support the full range of community issues
Support other activities such as:
- Membership Development – Support Bike Easy membership development efforts and participate in fundraising efforts
- Administration – Maintain timesheets, expense records, etc according to Bike Easy protocol; Participate in all staff activities and team-building
- Other Tasks As Needed – As a small non-profit, Bike Easy staff often end up supporting and doing work outside their basic job description
Desired Skills and Qualifications
- Passion for expanding and improving biking, mobility, health, and equity for residents of greater New Orleans
- Commitment to leadership development and community organizing as strategies for social change
- Ability to take initiative, learn new skills, and seek out appropriate support and training
- Experience in community organizing or advocacy, with a preference for work done in New Orleans
- Basic understanding of the biking and mobility landscape in and around New Orleans
- Demonstrated success working collaboratively with and reporting to a supervisory team
- Good communication and interpersonal skills, including an ability to communicate issues simply and concisely
- Highly organized with ability to set priorities, develop work schedules, monitor progress towards goals, adjust, innovate, and track details and activities
- Ability to travel to meet with partners and community members
- Skilled in meeting facilitation and comfort with public speaking
- Ability to work flexible hours
- Spanish speaking is a plus
Hours and Compensation
This is a full-time position. The salary range is $32,000 – $36,000. Hours are flexible, while participation in staff meetings and campaign meetings is expected. All travel in a personal vehicle will be reimbursed at $.50 per mile. Expenditures for related materials must be approved. Access to group health insurance coverage is offered for this position.
Supervision and Support
The Campaign Manager oversees this position, including evaluation, compensation, and other administrative aspects. Bike Easy creates a collaborative, fast-paced, and supportive work environment with many opportunities for learning from colleagues and peers. There will also be occasional professional development and training. We value all people and maintain a welcoming space where everyone can bring their full selves to work. The Campaign Organizer will have a space in the (very small) open office space that Bike Easy shares with Ride New Orleans, and much of the work will happen “in the field” throughout greater New Orleans.
The application period for this position has closed.