Community Education & Safety Overview
Bike Easy Community Education & Safety programming gives people of all ages and abilities the skills and confidence to ride their bike safely and aims to teach all people - whether walking, biking, or driving - how to prioritize safety for everyone.
Bike Easy works to increase safety for all people on the roadways through community education. We teach people the rules of the road, skills to successfully ride in traffic, how to drive around all the new bike lanes in town, strategies for safely getting around on foot, and more. We empower others to be safety stewards and help spread these skills throughout the community. Because at the end of the day, we are all just people – whether walking, biking, driving, taking transit, or using a wheelchair – trying to get to our destinations safely and conveniently.
In 2016, we plan to:
- Conduct 75 community education events – includes in-school instruction, encouragement events & community rides, and safety workshops & outreach – with broad geographic distribution throughout the region
- Reach at least 1,000 K-8 students at schools throughout region with biking and walking safety education
- Train 10 new League Cycling Instructors (LCI’s) and continue supporting current LCI’s to increase capacity for more regional bike safety education
- Support communications efforts to educate people who drive, bike, and walk on how to safely interact on the roadways
For more specifics on Bike Easy community education and safety programming, please visit:
- Community Bicycle Workshops
- Safe Routes to School Programs
- Walk & Roll to School Week
- Youth Bicycle Ambassador Program
Many thanks to the Louisiana State Department of Transportation, Louisiana Highway Safety Commission, and the many other sponsors and Members who help us accomplish this important work.