Job Announcement: Bike Parking Coordinator
Wednesday, Feb 15, 2017
Bike Easy works to make bicycling in Greater New Orleans easy, safe, and fun for everyone. To accomplish the mission, we focus on safety education, advocacy, and encouragement. One important way to help encourage more people to ride bikes is to make sure they’ve got a good, secure place to park them upon reaching their destination. This part-time, hourly position will focus on various aspects of bike parking, especially our popular Bicycle Valet Program.
Bicycle Valet by Bike Easy provides a free VIP experience to all guests arriving by bicycle to a festival or event. It encourages more people to enjoy the benefits of riding bikes to the incredible local festivals, fairs, and events that occur so often in the Greater New Orleans region. For event organizers, it’s a great way to support the New Orleans bicycle culture while creating a better event experience for all attendees. See current list of events below.
Through our participation in the Dero Advocacy Dealer Program, Bike Easy works with businesses, developers, and others to implement bike parking solutions. We help people navigate New Orleans’ bike parking standards and permits, conduct free site visits, recommend quality Dero bike racks, and support clients’ through the purchasing process. All bike parking sales benefit Bike Easy’s bike advocacy efforts.
Bike Parking Coordinator Job Responsibilities
- Organize bike valet corrals, including all planning, logistics, and day-of execution, at various events & festivals to help encourage more ridership
- Provide excellent customer service while representing Bike Easy to the public
- Recruit, train, and manage volunteers who make bike valet possible
- Raise funds by recruiting Bike Easy Members through one-on-one conversations at bike valet events
- Manage relationships and contract process with host festivals & events
- Expand number of bike valet events throughout the region
Dero Bike Rack Advocacy Dealer Program
- Manage and grow Dero Advocacy Dealer Program to help get more bike racks in residential buildings, employment centers, and businesses throughout the region while raising funds for Bike Easy’s work
- Build customer base for high-quality bike racks
- Provide free consultations to educate business owners, building managers, developers, and others on bike rack solutions that fit their needs
- Oversee sales process with customers and Dero representatives
Bike Parking Advocacy
- Assist with pushing for more publicly available bike parking
- Occasionally help with projects like creating a bike rack map
- Passion for bicycling, bicycles, and bicycle advocacy
- Customer service background
- Project management skills
- Grassroots organizing experience
- Volunteer recruitment, training, and management abilities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to transport large materials throughout the region (bike with trailer is fine, although sometimes a car may be necessary)
- Construction, bike rack installation, or bike mechanic skills a plus
- Fundraising experience a plus
- Spanish or Vietnamese fluency a plus
Hours and Compensation
This is a gig-based position, and hours vary from 2 to 20+ per week, depending on the schedule of events and volume of bike rack sales. Pay is $15 / hour with a commission structure for Dero products sales. There will be ample training and professional development opportunities. It is possible to expand the hours and scope of this position based on performance. To start, no benefits are offered.
Known 2017 Schedule of Bicycle Valet Events (lots more to be added!)
- Wednesday at the Square – Every Wednesday from March 15 – May 24, and Tuesday, May 2
- Congo Square New World Rhythms Festival – March 18-19
- LASPCA Brunch Fest – March 25
- Freret Street Festival (tentative) – April 1
- French Quarter Fest – April 7-9
- Louisiana Cajun Zydeco Fest – June 24-25
- NOLA on Tap – Sept 23
- Crescent City Blues and BBQ Fest – Oct 13-15
- Po-Boy Fest (tentative) – late Oct
- Cajun Zydeco Festival – mid-Nov
There is massive potential to expand the number of Bike Valet events as our capacity grows!
Bike Easy is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage all persons to apply for this position regardless of race, color, ethnicity, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, sex, age, or political affiliation.
See all articles in the News Archives