Job Announcement: Campaign Organizer - Jefferson Parish
Monday, Feb 13, 2017
Bike Easy is dedicated to making bicycling in the Greater New Orleans area easy, safe, and fun for everyone. Better bicycling can improve our community through positive impacts on economic development, public health, environmental health, and social equity. Bike Easy is especially interested in creating more opportunities for physical activity as a way to improve health outcomes for children, particularly in low-income communities and communities of color that have long experienced health disparities.
Complete Streets is a policy approach that ensures streets are designed and operated to accommodate all people, no matter who they are, where they live, or how they travel. Complete streets are safe and accessible for people walking, biking, driving, and taking transit and for people of all ages and abilities. Bike Easy is working to build public support and momentum for robust Complete Streets Programs that focus on health equity in our region. More people, many of whom currently lack mobility options, will be able to choose walking and biking for transportation and recreation and health equity will improve.
In Jefferson Parish, we’ll be building off the momentum of the Jefferson Parish Bicycle Master Plan to build overall public support for safe and accessible street design and operation. As Jefferson Parish continues to grow in population and diversity, ensuring safe, livable streets will be crucial to quality-of-life for everyone and the health of the Parish’s children. We are looking for a motivated leader with organizing experience who is a self-starter with ties to Jefferson Parish communities to lead these new efforts focused on complete streets and health equity.
Bike Easy is committed to justice, equity, and diversity in our work. People from the region’s communities of color and low-income communities have long been left out of transportation decision-making and are experiencing health disparities, and we strongly encourage people from those communities to apply.
Campaign Organizer Job Responsibilities
- Develop and manage a Complete Streets coalition comprised of active and dedicated organizations, specifically including organizations lead by and/or representing people of color and low-income communities
- Outreach to organizations, businesses, and other entities to build support for Complete Streets
- Engage with various existing coalitions to actively understand and support the full range of community issues
- Recruit and develop volunteer leaders – lots of petitioning and phonebanking!
- Coordinate trainings on Complete Streets and various grassroots, advocacy, and media tactics
- Mobilize volunteers to engage various communities at events and public meetings
- Conduct educational outreach through tabling and petitioning, especially in communities most impacted by health disparities
- Make presentations about Bike Easy, Complete Streets, and mobility to groups in various settings – from church and civic organizations to businesses and government officials
Media & Communications
- Organize press conferences and media events, and be a spokesperson on behalf Bike Easy in the media
- Develop hardcopy outreach materials, web content, email and social media content, and other communications pieces
- Train volunteers and others in media, outreach, and communications regarding Complete Streets and the campaign
- Support Bike Easy membership development efforts and participate in fundraising efforts
- Maintain timesheets, expense records, and other administrative pieces according to Bike Easy protocol
- Participate in all staff activities and team-building
Other Tasks As Needed
- As a small non-profit, Bike Easy staff often end up supporting and doing work far outside their basic job description
- Deep commitment to and enthusiasm for equity, health, mobility, and bicycling
- Strong connections to Jefferson Parish communities
- Background in effectively working with communities of color and low-income communities
- Experience with political or issue campaigning
- Experience working with coalitions and/or with large teams
- Volunteer training and management experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Policy expertise and knowledge of the Jefferson Parish political and government landscape
- Driver’s license and access to a personal vehicle (mileage is reimbursed)
- Background in complete streets policy, transportation planning, and/or street design is a plus
Compensation and Benefits
This position is a one-year, grant-funded position with possibility for extension. Salary range is from mid-30’s to upper-30’s annually, depending on experience, and includes paid vacation, sick time, and holidays. While we are currently watching the insurance marketplace dynamics and may change our approach, our small staff currently prefers to choose and pay for health care independently. There will be professional development opportunities, and you’ll gain great experience working with our accomplished board, staff, and volunteers.
Bike Easy is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage all persons to apply for this position regardless of race, color, ethnicity, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, sex, age, or political affiliation.
See all articles in the News Archives