Bike Easy Hiring a Communications and Membership Coordinator
Thursday, Sep 17, 2015
Please note that this job listing has closed as of October 2, 2015.
Bike Easy Overview
Bike Easy is the leading bike advocacy group in Greater New Orleans with the mission to make bicycling fun, safe and easy for everyone. Bicycling is a healthy, equitable, and congestion-easing transportation option, and Bike Easy is working to increase bicycling opportunities and support to ensure all citizens reap the public health, transportation, environment, and social equity benefits.
Bike Easy is committed to justice, equity, and diversity in all of our work, and we are an equal opportunity employer. We encourage all persons to apply for this position regardless of race, color, ethnicity, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, sex, age, or political affiliation.
The Communications and Membership Coordinator will help make bicycling in New Orleans fun, safe, and easy for everyone by furthering the organization’s development through communications work, community outreach, and membership recruitment activities. Furthering healthy transportation options in New Orleans requires a mix of education, advocacy, and encouragement, and the Communications and Membership Coordinator will support all of these areas by creating greater awareness and building political and financial strength for our organization and its mission.
As a community-minded organization, engaging the people of New Orleans in our efforts to improve bicycling through excellent communications and dedicated community outreach is crucial to our success, and member donations give us the ability to work for fun, safe, and easy cycling everyday. The Communications and Membership Coordinator will work to raise the public profile of the organization, recruit individuals and businesses to join the organization as dues-paying members, and work to involve members and the general public in Bike Easy efforts.
- Online and offline communications
- Fundraising / donor cultivation
- Event organizing
- Publicly representing Bike Easy in a variety of venues
- Volunteer recruitment and management
- Administrative upkeep
Current Program Responsibilities
The Communications and Membership Coordinator will be responsible for managing and growing Bike Easy’s Bike Valet outreach. Bike Valet gives festival attendees a special, quality experience; allows festivals and events to show support for healthy transportation and ensure a clean, organized space; gives sponsors access to an active demographic; and allows Bike Easy the ability to inform our best potential supporters of our work and recruit new members.
The Communications and Membership Coordinator will manage all aspects of the Bike Valet program including:
- recruiting and managing volunteers
- planning event logistics
- contracting with festivals and other events
- conducting onsite event management
- soliciting sponsors
- actively engaging members of the public at events
The Communications and Membership Coordinator will work collaboratively with the Executive Director in developing and implementing a comprehensive communications strategy to raise awareness of Bike Easy’s * mission and work. Responsibilities will include:
- maintaining social media accounts and engaging with constituents online
- writing email newsletters, blog posts, and web content
- updating and managing bikeeasy.org
- creating brochures, fliers, and posters as needed
- managing the Bike Easy brand
- answering calls and general inquiry emails with excellent customer service, and
- more to be determined
Membership is crucial to Bike Easy’s financial and political strength, and the person in this position will work collaboratively with the Executive Director to execute Bike Easy’s Membership Development Plan. Responsibilities will include:
- recruiting members, both in-person at events and online
- soliciting sponsorships and asking for donations
- managing relationships with Business Members
- upkeeping donor database and tracking donor activities
- maintaining regular Membership Thank You and Renewal mailing
- organizing member appreciation gatherings
- researching major donors
- assisting with membership events like the Bicycle Second Lines, and
- more to be determined
Skills and Experience Desired
- Commitment to bicycling and active transportation
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Outgoing and engaging personality
- Fundraising and/or membership development success
- Outreach and event organizing experience
- Volunteer management ability
- Advanced computer and social media knowledge. Website development and/or database management experience a plus.
- Strong work ethic
- Team player that can manage work independently
- Demonstrated ability to inspire and recruit people around a cause
- Willingness to work irregular hours when necessary, including evenings and weekends
- Graphic design experience a plus
- Spanish and/or Vietnamese proficiency a plus
Compensation and Benefits
Salary will be in the low to mid 30’s with a supplemental healthcare stipend, and includes paid vacation, sick days, comp time, and holidays. There are ample professional development opportunities, and you’ll gain great experience working with our accomplished board, staff, and volunteers.
See all articles in the News Archives