Lafitte Greenway Improvements 75% done
Thursday, Feb 5, 2015
Update from Department of Public Works
Placement of the asphalt portion of the Lafitte Greenway bicycle and pedestrian path is 75% complete in Areas 2, 3, 4, and 5. The Department of Public Works construction contractor, Durr Heavy Construction, has completed installing most of the trail lighting fixtures in Areas 2, 3, and 4, and continues installation of trail lighting in Area 5. Lighting wiring will be installed toward the end of the project construction, when the project is ready for public use.
- The overall project is about 78 percent complete and on schedule to be open in spring 2015.
- The contractor will begin planting trees next week. Landscaping work will continue through March.
- The contractor has begun placing the Carondelet Walk crushed stone walking path, which will run along Lafitte Ave. The Carondelet Walk starts at N. Claiborne Ave. and will end at N. Galvez St.
- Please note the N. Lopez St. pedestrian bridge is closed and will remain closed for the duration of construction in Area 3.
- The N. Rocheblave St. pedestrian path is now closed and will remain closed for the duration of construction in Area 4. A new, paved N. Rocheblave St. walk will be constructed as part of this project. Please use N. Galvez or N. Broad streets during construction and avoid entering the construction site.
- Please use the temporary walking paths on N. Galvez St. during sidewalk construction.
- Conversion of St. Louis St. between N. Carrollton Ave. and N. Solomon St., from two-way directional traffic to one-way traffic in the lakebound direction is complete. Crews will mobilize to this portion of the roadway immediately following Mardi Gras weekend.
- Crews will begin work on path construction between N Alexander and N Solomon this week.
- * Durr Heavy Construction continues final grading of Area 5.
To expedite construction, Durr Heavy Construction has divided the Lafitte Greenway project into six sections:
Area 1 – N. Alexander St. to N. Carrollton Ave.
Area 2 – N. Carrollton Ave. to Jefferson Davis Pkwy – currently under construction
Area 3 – N. Jefferson Davis Pkwy to N. Broad St. – currently under construction
Area 4 – N. Broad St. to N. Galvez St. – currently under construction
Area 5 – N. Galvez St. to N. Claiborne Ave. – currently under construction
Area 6 – N. Claiborne Ave. to Basin St.
Please use caution when driving, bicycling or walking near active construction sites. Traffic cones, construction fencing and safety signage are in place to keep everyone safe. Please respect the signage and fencing – do not enter active construction sites.
See all articles in the News Archives