Schools & Community Outreach Coordinator Job Description
Monday, Oct 27, 2014
Bike Easy is hiring a Schools and Community Outreach Coordinator to increase our capacity to do youth and community bicycle programs in New Orleans.
About Bike Easy
Bike Easy is the leading bike advocacy group in Greater New Orleans with the mission to improve biking in and around the city by ensuring that it’s fun, safe and an accessible mode of transportation and recreation for all.
Schools and Community Outreach Coordinator Description
Working as our Schools and Community Outreach Coordinator, you will support Bike Easy’s efforts to promote biking and walking to school, and work directly with students in Orleans Parish public schools to educate the next generation to be safe and confident bicyclists.
Within this program, you will be responsible for coordinating with schools; teaching pedestrian and bicycle safety to students; and assisting with curriculum and grant development for future Safe Routes to School programs. You will also assist with additional community outreach efforts, reaching commuters to educate them on the rules of the road and providing them with critical safety equipment. The Schools and Community Outreach Coordinator’s main tasks will be to organize the following programs:
Safe Routes to School
Working with other Bike Easy Staff, you will work to coordinate our Safe Routes to School Programs in Orleans Parish Schools. Duties will include:
- Coordinating with PE Teachers and School Administrations
- Assisting with logistics for our bicycle fleet and Let’s Walk and Roll to School Days
- Teaching pedestrian and bicycle safety to 4th and 5th graders
- Assisting with curriculum development, grant writing, and program development
Bike Light/Bike Right Interventions
Through our Bike Light/Bike Right Interventions, you’ll reach commuters riding without lights to educate them on key safety points. Duties include:
- Scheduling bike light interventions
- Helping to design outreach and promotional materials
- Coordinating and organizing volunteers
We ask that you bring skills and talent that include:
- Experience teaching, working with young people, and/or working in public schools
- Experience working with communities, planning events, and/or leading volunteers
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Willingness to work as a team and share ideas openly
- Familiarity with project management, timelines, schedules, coordination
Availability: Bike Easy is seeking one coordinator to work full time. Hours are flexible. Position starts immediately.
Location: This position will be out of our OC Haley Office, with weekly meetings in person as well as field components.
Compensation: This is a paid contract position until July 1, 2015. Gain excellent experience working with our staff. Become familiar with current urban planning issues in New Orleans and network with local civic leaders. Compensation DOE. This position is not eligible for medical or retirement benefits.
Application deadline is Wednesday, November 12 at 5:00pm.
Bike Easy is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation or gender identity, disability, sex or age.
See all articles in the News Archives