Executive Director Job Announcement
Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013
Bike Easy is the leading bike advocacy group in Greater New Orleans with the mission to improve biking in and around the city by ensuring that it’s fun, safe and an accessible mode of transportation and recreation for all.
General Statement of Responsibilities
Bike Easy is seeking an Executive Director. Current responsibilities include advocating for trail and on-road facilities in New Orleans and the surrounding Parishes, pursuing policies that advance the cause of bicycling, conducting numerous special events, and extending the reach of bicycle education across the region. The Executive Director will work closely with the Board of Directors, local advocates, and a large cadre of volunteers in carrying out Bike Easy’s mission. The Executive Director will be responsible for all administrative aspects of the organization, including directing fundraising activities.
The Executive Director will be responsible for the oversight of all management and administrative functions of Bike Easy at the direction of the Board.
- Responsible for oversight of the day to day operations of the Bike Easy office
- Develop the annual budget for the organization in conjunction with the Finance Committee, monitor receipts and expenditures, and make monthly and annual reports to the Board
- Hire, supervise and evaluate professional and support staff
- Oversee and coordinate special events
- Manage social media, website and produce a bi-weekly email newsletter
- Manage all contract and consulting work
- Ensure that Bike Easy is in compliance with all federal, state and local rules, and is fully observing the terms and conditions of any existing contract, grant, or other funding related requirements
The Executive Director, under the direction of and in partnership with the Board, will be responsible for managing organizational development, fundraising, and membership development activities.
- Develop and implement appropriate fund-raising and financial development strategies that are related to the organization’s mission and program priorities and work with the Board to implement them
- Continue the growth and maximize membership revenue through regular and relevant membership appeals, issue appeals, effective management of the data base system and other appropriate means
- Supervise a major donor campaign to increase funding from individuals
- Package and promote corporate sponsorships of programs, activities, and special events.
- Generate proposals for relevant foundation grants and government and institutional contracts for bicycling related program activities
- Develop and implement other fundraising activities as necessary and appropriate
The Executive Director, under the direction of and in partnership with the Board, will be responsible for managing and developing education activities for youth and adults.
The Executive Director will be responsible for representing Bike Easy to it’s members, partners and stakeholders and actively advocating Bike Easy’s mission to the New Orleans Metro area community.
- Advise and assist the Board with the development of policy positions designed to further Bike Easy’s mission
- Be the “public face” of Bike Easy in representing the organization and advocating positions to all organizational constituencies including, but not limited to, individual bicyclists, other bicycling related private organizations, and government and institutional entities
- Communicate and work with the media to advocate Bike Easy’s goals and positions
- Advise and assist the Board in the development and promotion of relevant and appropriate bicycling related programs, projects, and special events
- Develop new partners and contacts to support Bike Easy’s infrastructure and education goals
Board of Directors
The Executive Director will attend all Board meetings unless otherwise directed by the Board and will assist and enable the Board to carry out its duties and governance obligation.
- Assist the Board in the development and implementation of long-term strategic plan and goals
- Keep Board fully apprised of operations at monthly Board meetings and at other times as appropriate
- Provide monthly financial statements and fundraising analysis to the Board
- Assist in the recruitment of new Board members
- Coordinate and facilitate activities for the Board and its committees
The ideal candidate will have:
- A strong commitment to Bike Easy’s mission and goals, and an understanding of bicycling and transportation issues
- Subject matter knowledge in cycling
- Regular bicycle user
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field.
- Demonstrated non-profit management or highly relevant business and government experience with organizations of similar size and composition
- Demonstrated fundraising experience and capability
- Proven ability in establishing strong connections with governmental bodies, political institutions, and other entities active in transportation related issues
- Strong competency in administration, strategic planning, and fiscal budgeting
- Superior oral and written communication skills, and excellent computer/technical skills (Quickbooks and Salesforce)
Salary is commensurate with experience. Bike Easy offers a competitive benefits package including paid vacation and sick leave and employer-sponsored health insurance.
Applications will be accepted until November 24, 2013.
Bike Easy is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation or gender identity, disability, sex or age.
See all articles in the News Archives