Complete Streets Ambassador Training
Sun, Mar 24, 2019
1:00 – 5:00 pm
Sign up today as a Complete Streets Ambassador to make New Orleans streets built to be shared by everyone. Make sure the needs of people who bike and walk are heard!
Bike Easy’s Complete Streets Ambassador program begins with a mandatory training on March 24 from 1PM-5PM covering advocacy tactics, the local political climate of biking in the Greater New Orleans region, and how to effectively advocate on the local level.
Complete Streets Ambassadors work to promote walking, biking, transit, and livable streets in New Orleans neighborhoods. ‘Complete Streets’ represent the goal of providing streets built to share to everyone who bikes, walks, drives and rides transit. As the City of New Orleans plans to make improvements to biking infrastructure over the coming years it is vital that we speak up to make sure these changes lead to healthy, equitable outcomes for New Orleans residents.
Program Goals of Bike Easy Complete Streets Ambassadors:
- Spread the word and build support for safe, accessible biking
- Recruit residents to attend public meetings and community bike rides
- Speak with neighborhood leaders and local media about protected bikeways and Complete Streets
- Plan a community activity for the opening of a neighborhood protected bikeway
Desired Qualifications for Ambassadors:
- Regularly walks, bikes, and/or takes the bus to get around New Orleans
- Outgoing person willing to talk in front of groups of people
- Passionate about building community
- Familiar with New Orleans communities
- People from communities of color and under-resourced communities are especially encouraged to apply
- People are also encouraged to apply in small teams (2-3) with pre-existing community relationships
Successful ambassadors will be available and committed to the following:
- 3 hours per week time commitment
- Attending bi-monthly meetings
- Initial half-day training
- Supporting the goals of the program