This is a past Event
Greater New Orleans Biking and Walking Summit
Bringing Together Community Voices to Develop an Action Plan for Bettering our Region through Improved Mobility
Sat, Jan 28, 2017
9:00 am – 5:30 pm
The Greater New Orleans Biking and Walking Summit will bring together community voices to develop an action plan for bettering our region through improved mobility. The event, hosted by Bike Easy and facilitated by S&G Endeavors, is being supported by a broad, diverse planning committee and seeks the input of all people in the region who care about biking and walking and the public health, economic, environmental, and community benefits of increased mobility. Breakfast and lunch will be provided.
Purpose and Outcomes
The purpose for the Greater New Orleans Biking and Walking Summit is to:
- Build a common understanding of opportunities to improve mobility that generates momentum, celebrates strengths, and capitalizes on personal priorities of all people in Greater New Orleans who bike and walk or who would like to bike and walk more;
- Elevate and energize the community, leadership, and key stakeholders, as a whole, around an inspiring, collective vision of our potential to continue bringing the benefits of safe, accessible streets to all people in the region; and,
- Create a unified voice, a concrete action plan and a clear roadmap for a multi-year, transparent, strategic plan for building a movement that works towards improved street conditions for people of all ages and abilities who bike, walk, and move around the region without an automobile.
The expected outcomes of the summit are to create:
- A systematic and equitable approach to strategic planning that includes all stakeholders of the community, representing all parts of Greater New Orleans and all people who bike and walk.
- A transparent strategy for improving mobility built on consensus, having broad support and ownership by the leadership, key stakeholders, and the whole community of people who care about bringing the benefits of mobility to Greater New Orleans.
- Increased excitement, buy-in and ownership of the new strategy by a broad array of diverse stakeholders because the whole community participated in the planning process.
- A shared vision, strategy, and priorities needed for Bike Easy and its partners to better serve local advocates and strategically grow the movement for biking and walking in Greater New Orleans.
- Realistic, measurable and specific action plans that will help Bike Easy, and its partners, focus and implement the strategies created by participants.
The full agenda, including many interactive sessions and walking/biking activities, will be released to all registered attendees in early/mid-January.