Bike Easy Seeks Communications Coordinator
Help build awareness and mobilize support for Bike Easy with a part-time contract to manage social media and other communications
Bike Easy seeks an enthusiastic and talented storyteller who loves communicating via social media and online platforms to help build awareness of Bike Easy’s brand, work, and accomplishments. Bike Easy believes in the power of bicycling and better mobility to improve our region, and we inspire people to take action and get involved through compelling stories and strategic outreach. The successful candidate will have a deep knowledge of social media, experience creating narratives, and a commitment to improving Greater New Orleans. This is a part-time, contract position with opportunity for growth.
- Manage Bike Easy social media accounts, from overall strategy to individual posts and responses, including some basic graphic design for posts
- Work with Bike Easy staff to coordinate regular organizational communications including weekly emails, blogs, and other web content
- Support staff in using Nationbuilder, our CRM and email software, to deliver content
- Support staff in technical aspects of posting content and updates to http://www.bikeeasy.org
- Develop content for social media and/or website, including videos, infographics, written pieces
- Support earned media outreach by managing media list, drafting press advisories / releases, reaching out to media contacts
- Supporting / coordinating a full redesign of http://www.bikeeasy.org
- Occasional outreach support at events, etc
- Deep knowledge of and passion for communicating via social media, including Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
- Excellent writing and grammar skills
- Passion for making positive change for the people of Greater New Orleans, particularly related to transportation issues and bicycling
- Understanding of using organizational/brand voice, adapting talking points and messaging frames, and how to navigate sensitive, contentious topics respectfully
- Basic to advanced understanding of web design and software maintenance
- Experience with graphic design utilizing design standards and an engaging visual language
- Excellent attention-to-detail and time management
- Ability to work independently and coordinate efficiently
The Communications Coordinator will report directly to the Executive Director and work closely with the entire Bike Easy team. Regular weekly coordination meetings will be expected, but scheduling is otherwise flexible. This is a contract position that will average approximately 20 hours per week, starting at $15 to $18 per hour, depending on experience. While some experience is necessary, there is strong potential for this position to be a good fit for people early in their communications career. Bike Easy is committed to making real a vision of a healthy, prosperous, resilient, and equitable future for the people of greater New Orleans. In line with that vision, our organizational culture values growth, leadership development, motivation and encouragement in the many pursuits of the people who work here with us.
- a short cover letter,
- links/handles of personal or professional social media platforms you control (if you share an example of a social media channel that you previously controlled on behalf of another entity, please include the dates that you directly managed it), and
- a short writing sample (please send something you’ve already written, no matter the subject, and do not write anything specific to this application).
The application will remain open until a contract is finalized.