Let’s Move Forward Algiers
Come out this Saturday, September 28 to celebrate transportation improvements coming to the Westbank
As you may have already seen on a billboard or heard on the radio, the New Orleans Complete Streets Coalition has launched the “Let’s Move Forward” campaign! The effort is designed to educate people about the benefits – from health and equity to economy and quality-of-life – of streets built to share that are safe for everyone, no matter how they travel.
To learn more about the New Orleans Complete Streets Coalition and its work to improve safety, equity, and accessibility in neighborhoods throughout New Orleans, visit www.nolacompletestreets.org and sign up for email updates.
Then, please join Complete Streets Coalition members, the Mayor’s Office of Transportation, Councilmember Kristin Palmer, and Algiers businesses at the “Let’s Move Forward Algiers!” community campaign kickoff event.
Let’s Move Forward Algiers – Community Campaign Kickoff
Saturday, September 28 from 10am to 2:30pm
Behrman Memorial Park, 2529 General Meyer Ave
This is a fun day of activities for everyone to see the many changes underway to improve biking, walking, and transportation coming to Algiers and New Orleans — improvements like low-stress bikeways, expanded and improved pedestrian crosswalks, and a reimagined transit system. Activities include:
- Walking and biking tours of coming street improvements as part of the General Meyer Complete Streets Renovation, the Moving New Orleans Bikes initiative, and potential transit improvements as envisioned in the New Links: Reimaging Transit initiative
- History of Algiers exhibit as part of NOLA 300 – Walking tour alongside other information
- Delicious and healthy food and drinks from local Algiers restaurant and caterers
- Battle of the Bands with $500 awarded to benefit a local school
- Free fitness classes featuring beginner and intermediate workouts in the morning and afternoon
- Kids bike rodeo and tots’ races where kids from 3 to 12 learn and improve biking skills
- Along with giveaways, face-painting, and other opportunities to see and learn of coming biking, walking, transit improvements in Algiers and ways to get involved!!
Bike Easy has been a long-time leader in the New Orleans Complete Streets Coalition, and I’m so proud of the work that Coalition members and supporters have done to build momentum for Complete Streets – streets that are built to share with crosswalks, bus shelters, protected bike lanes, traffic calming, and efficient signalization.
Sign up at www.nolacompletestreets.org to keep up with the Coalition!
We’re excited to support Mayor Cantrell and the City as they implement important infrastructure improvements to promote safe and equitable transportation. With efforts like #fairshare infrastructure improvements, the New Links transit reimagining process, and updating Complete Streets policy, things are well underway.
And, of course, at Bike Easy, we’re thrilled about Moving New Orleans Bikes, the City’s effort to rapidly design and build a connected and protected network of bikeways that can help solve mobility challenges for all people – even those who never ride. Good bike infrastructure doesn’t leave bike riders, motorists or pedestrians to navigate incomplete connections that force everyone into unsafe and confusing situations. Everyone can get where they are going with the greatest safety and the least amount of hassle because the traffic flow needs of all are met through careful planning and smart construction.
Everyone in Greater New Orleans deserves to have the ability to get around easily, safely, and affordably. Increasing safe and accessible transportation options can help our region make progress on the big issues we’re facing – public health, equity, job access & economic development, and quality-of-life!
Please join the New Orleans Complete Streets Coalition movement, and let’s move forward with more safety and less stress!