Streets Built to Share
How Complete Streets can help make Greater New Orleans a more livable region.
What are Complete Streets?
The complete streets approach is based on the premise that everybody, regardless of who they are, where they live, or how they get around, should have the choice to travel in a safe and convenient manner.
It means every street that is built or reconstructed is designed to accommodate all people. Our long-term goal is that this complete streets approach is institutionalized and normalized in all jurisdictions of Greater New Orleans and that all steps of street design, construction, and operations embody these values.
Complete Streets benefit our region.
Complete Streets help produce better health outcomes by reducing air pollution and allowing people to safely walk and bike. They help spur economic growth by decreasing transportation costs and connecting people to their jobs, neighborhood businesses, churches, healthcare providers, and schools. They strengthen communities by empowering youth, the elderly, people with disabilities, and other marginalized groups to be mobile. Complete Streets stand to make our region healthier, wealthier, and stronger.
Complete Streets are safe and easy for everyone.
- People who walk enjoy well-maintained sidewalks and walking paths, street trees, benches, and high-visbility crosswalks.
- People who bike enjoy bicycle lanes and low speed limits, making for a comfortable riding experience. Numerous bicycle racks also allow easy parking next to popular destinations.
- People who take transit enjoy covered shelter, benches, and easy-to-read transit signage. Loading platforms are strategically placed away from active traffic to make getting on and off the vehicle a safe and stress-free transition.
- People who drive enjoy comfortable travel speeds, clearly demarcated street parking, and high visibility of other people on the street.
- People of all abilities can travel in confidence knowing that ADA curb ramps, low speed limits, and high visibility will make for a safe and comfortable journey.