Bicycle Share by 2013
Our Bicycle Share Feasibility Study Makes the Case for Bike Share in New Orleans. Now Join Us and Add Power to Our Efforts!
What is Bicycle Share?
Bicycle share is a network of bicycles and automated kiosks that allows users to make short trips (1 to 3 miles) quickly, conveniently and affordably. Bicycle share is in over 100 European and 23 American cities. A small scale bicycle share system (e.g. 200 bicycles) would have a profound impact on improving New Orleans’ transportation network.
What impact will it have on New Orleans?
As you know, the benefits of bicycling are many. The bicycle share extends those benefits to everyday people who don’t usually ride bicycles. It increases our audience, builds a sense of pride in bicycling and increases safety for everyone on bicycles.
More bicycles on the road have created safer streets in communities around the world. Bicycle share gets more people on bicycles and improves safety for everyday riders.
It will increase visitor and resident ability to get around town and spend money at local businesses.
Improving access to disadvantaged populations will help build wealth and equity in New Orleans.
Traffic Congestion Mitigation
More people on bikes means fewer cars on roads.
What is the implementation plan?
Bicycle share is simple to implement. Experience elsewhere has produced a winning model for implementation. Bike Easy has begun convening stakeholders through the Sustainable Transportation Advisory Committee, and needs support to:
- Advocate to City Hall for appropriate policy changes at City Planning Commission and Department of Public Works to streamline siting stations.
- Partner with local groups and funders to raise a $300,000 local match.
- Apply with the Regional Planning Commission and City of New Orleans for $1.2M in federal aid to underwrite the system.
Funding Needed For The Campaign
Each dollar that you give as a Sustaining Member will be matched by a local donor. Advocacy is the most effective way to make the changes we seek in the city and we’re proud to be the most effective advocate for your interests. Bicycle share is one tool to improve our community for all residents.
Sustaining Members Program – New!
Become a sustaining member and support the work we do on urgent campaigns like the Bicycle Share Campaign. In the past, sustaining membership has supported:
- On the street advocacy like our Decatur Street Rally
- Complete Streets Advocacy at City Hall
- Free handouts of the New Orleans Bike Map & Guide to Safe Cycling
- Bike Light, Bike Right – free light giveaways.
Sustaining members get a free gift, choose either Bike Easy t-shirt or Bike Easy water bottle.