Become An Ambassador For Complete Streets
Biking and walking advocacy training for residents of New Orleans and Jefferson Parish
Would you like to be more involved in improving biking and walking safety in your neighborhood? Do you have ideas about improving transit stops on your route? Do you wish your bike ride to work felt safer? With unprecedented amounts of ongoing road construction, we have a once in a generation opportunity to create streets that are built to share for everyone. Now is the time to step up and be the leader your community needs!
The Fall ’18 Ambassadorship begins with a two-day training in New Orleans, August 4th and 5th. The program is 3 months, running from August 5th to November 2.
Bike Easy is seeking residents to train and support as ‘Complete Streets Ambassadors’, who will work to promote walking, biking, transit, and livable streets in their neighborhoods. Complete Streets represent the goal of bringing streets fully built to share to all the people of Greater New Orleans who bike, walk, drive and take transit. As we enter summer, change is in the air and it’s vital that we speak up now to make sure we see the improvements which lead to healthier, more equitable outcomes for all Greater New Orleans residents. You can participate regardless of whether you live in Jefferson or Orleans Parish. Our goals are the same in both places.
Desired Qualifications for Ambassadors
- Regularly walks, bikes, and/or takes the bus to get around the Greater New Orleans area
- Wants to learn and share basic biking and walking guidelines
- Outgoing people person who works well with others and is comfortable talking in front of groups
- Self-starter with solid work ethic who can commit to class and meeting schedule
- Passionate about building community and is connected to people and/or organizations in the neighborhood
- Familiar with New Orleans and/or Jefferson Parish communities
- People from communities of color and low-income communities are especially encouraged to apply, and a limited number of stipends are available
- People are also encouraged to apply in small teams (2-3) with pre-existing community relationships
Successful applicants will be available and committed to the following:
- 3-month program (with ongoing opportunities beyond that), approximately 3 hours per week
- Initial full weekend training
- Sharing their own personal story about walking and biking in public meetings and other settings
- Collaborating on one large group project, led by Bike Easy
- Leading a small project in their own neighborhood, with support from Bike Easy
- Join the Complete Streets Coalition in either New Orleans or Jefferson Parish
Space in this program is limited, and roughly half of available positions will be on a volunteer basis. A limited number of $400 stipends are available for those who need them to be able to make this commitment. There will be a $100 payment upon completion of the training and a $300 payment at the end of the 3 months. Please indicate in the application if you would also like to apply for the stipend. This will have no bearing on whether you are accepted into the program.
A downloadable version of the application is in the upper right-hand corner of this Web page.
Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis as applications are received.